Meet the Republican father and small businessman with the experience and energy to keep Tennessee moving in the right direction.
A lifelong Tennessean and resident of Knoxville since 2002, State Representative Martin Daniel has deep roots in our community. As a resident of of West Knoxville, he and his wife of fifteen years, Melissa, are the proud parents of two children, Sophie (12) and Matthew (10).
During his college years, Martin attended the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, first earning his bachelor’s degree, and then his Masters in Business Administration. Later, Martin attended Memphis State University Law School, graduating with Highest Honors in 1985. During his time there, he was awarded the Herbert Herff merit scholarship and served on the Law Review.
After graduating, Martin actively practiced law in Memphis from 1985 through 1995, focusing on business litigation. While Martin still maintains his license to practice law as a member of the Tennessee and Knoxville Bar Associations, he now uses his legal expertise primarily to craft meaningful legislation that addresses the complex policy challenges facing our state.
Following his time as an as a practicing attorney, Martin put his business education to use. He went into business for himself, going on to found, grow, and manage four small businesses from scratch. Today, Martin serves as the majority owner and general manager of Elevation Outdoor Advertising, LLC, a successful advertising company operating throughout the state. He also serves as President of the local non-profit Defeat Duchenne, inc. a non-profit corporation committed to supporting children diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and their families.
Since 2014, Martin has been honored to serve the people of Knoxville representing House District 18 in the 109th and 110th Tennessee General Assemblies. As a successful business owner, Martin is putting his real private-sector experience to use for taxpayers, helping to make our state government function more efficiently with lower taxes, fewer regulations, and leaner, balanced budgets. Martin believes that government, while necessary, cannot provide a solution for all of society’s problems and that a limited, smaller government works best for Tennesseans. That’s why he is committed to sponsoring and supporting legislation that reduces the size of government and promises to make Tennessee the top destination in the country for business growth, expansion, and investment.
- Owner: Elevation Outdoor Advertising, LLC
- President, Defeat Duchenne
- Member: St. John’s Episcopal Church
- Member: Tennessee and Knoxville Bar Associations; Knoxville Chamber of Commerce(Transportation & Infrastructure Committee), Entrepreneurs Organization of Knoxville, Nat’l Federation of Independent Business(“named “Guardian of Small Business, 2017); The Rotary Club of Knoxville, The Civil War Trust, The Heritage Foundation, American Legislative Exchange Council(state chair, 2018).
- Committees: 109th General Assembly – Civil Justice Committee; Business and Utilities Committee; 110 General Assembly – Civil Justice Committee; State Government Committee
- Membership: The Heartland Institute; The Heritage Foundation; American Legislative Exchange Council, State Public Sector Chairman(2018), Civil Justice Committee.